Propane is clean burning and energy-efficient fuel. There are still things you can do to promote energy saving. Below are some easy tips that can help you get started.
- Switch to a propane water heater as they recover hot water twice as fast as an electric water heater.
- Replace your furnace filter once a month. A new filter will help your heating system remain clean and run more efficiently.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Set your thermostat just a degree higher for air conditioning and a degree lower for heating. Everyone degree Celsius you adjust results in a savings of 2% on your heating bill.
- Lowering your water heater to 130 degrees from the standard 140 degrees will save more than 10% on your water heating bill.
- Keep your fireplace damper closed unless a fire is going. An open damper can let 8% of the heat in your home escape.
- If you have older, drafty windows replace them or seal around their frame with caulking.
- Install LED bulbs. They are up to 80% more efficient than incandescents.
- Use low-flow showerheads and tap aerators to save 50% more water.
- Increase the insulation in your attic or crawlspace if you have one.
- Use blinds or drapes on all windows. Open them during the day to let the sun warm the room and close them at night to keep cold air out.
These energy-saving tips can help you maximize your energy efficiency. That will help save you money in the future.